Advisory Committee on Clinical Excellence Awards (ACCEA)
Due to Covid-19 the 2020 round of the ACCEA was postponed.
The assessment round for 2021 will be open from 7th December 2020 and will close on the 18th March 2021. It is expected to follow a similar format to previous years.
If you require BAPS to support your nomination or you wish us to put your name forward to the RCSEng please let us have your application by 5th February, 5pm.
However, if you also wish to have RCSEng support you need to apply directly to the College
- Platinum awards deadline 7th January 2021
- Bronze, Silver and Gold awards deadline 5th February 2021
If you would like to be considered for RCS England support then email your completed ACCEA Application Forms as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that the College must have newly completed forms for renewal applications by the same date. Please see the College website for more details.
About the scheme:
The ACCEA scheme rewards individual surgeons who achieve over and above the standard expected of a consultant in their post, and who locally, nationally or internationally provide evidence of many of the following characteristics:
- Demonstrate sustained commitment of patient care and wellbeing, or improving public health
- Sustain high standards of both technical and clinical aspects of service whilst providing patient focused care
- Make an outstanding contribution to professional leadership
- In their day to day practice demonstrate a sustained commitment to the values and goals of the NHS, by participating actively in annual job planning, observing the Private Practice Code of Conduct and showing a commitment to achieving agreed service objectives
- Through active participation in clinical governance contribute to continuous improvement in service organisation and delivery
- Embrace the principles of evidence based practice
- Contribute to knowledge base through research and participate actively in research governance
- Are recognised as excellent teachers and/or trainers and/or managers
- Contribute to policy making and planning in health and healthcare.
The forms which have to be completed ask consultants to provide evidence about their performance, including achievements in preventative medicine, in five domains enabling them to demonstrate that they:
- Deliver patient services which are safe, have measurably effective clinical outcomes and provide a good experience for patients
- Have significantly improved quality of care and the clinical effectiveness of their local service or related clinical service broadly within the NHS
- Have made an outstanding leadership contribution
- Have made innovations or contributed to research, or the evidence/evaluative base for quality
- Have delivered high quality teaching and training which may include the introduction of innovative ideas
We have been asked to make our evaluations of nominations on contributions to the specialty, and impact on the wider NHS. Contributions which you make to the local employer are not relevant to our assessment and endorsement of these should come direct from your local Trust. We can nominate only 1 Gold candidate, 2 Silver and 4 Bronze. We cannot recommend anyone for Platinum awards!
You can find more information and guidance about the awards at the ACCEA website
If you have any queries about your ACCEA application, please email the office.
For our participation in making nominations to ACCEA BAPS has an awards committee and marking process as recommended by the ACCEA guidelines.