President Elect of BAPS
We are delighted to announce that Mr. Ian Sugarman was elected as President Elect of British Association of Paediatric Surgeons. His appointment will be confirmed in council meeting on 9th July 2021. He will join the Executive from July 2021.
Please find Ian’s presidential election manifesto below.
I have been a consultant paediatric surgeon in Leeds since 1999. I have a subspecialist interest in colorectal surgery. My wife is a histopathologist and we have three daughters in full time education. I was a founder member of the paediatric colorectal club. I was the BAPS Secretary from 2010-12, Treasurer from 2012 – 15 and then first BAPS CEO from 2015 to 2017.
I have always believed BAPS should have an important role to play for all Paediatric Surgeons and this has never felt truer than now.
With the recent devastating pandemic, the release of the GIRFT document and the introduction of National Clinical Improvement Plan, I see the following priorities for BAPS:
- Working through the GIRFT report to help plan paediatric surgical services in the 21st Century;
- Supporting and contributing to Operational Delivery Networks (as both regionally and nationally) to help develop a recovery programme;
- Concentrating on defining expected clinical outcomes.
I want all of these to ensure that no child in the UK is disadvantaged by their postcode.
I have the energy, enthusiasm and commitment to run as President of BAPS. If elected I will guarantee that:
- Communication between the BAPS Executive and members will be regular, informative and inclusive;
- The Congress and Winter meetings will be of a high standard such that members will be proud to attend and present their work;
- I will encourage increased contact amongst members both through groups under the auspices of BAPS (such as UKPCRG and CHURPS) and also by face-to-face contact so that the friendship and bonds, that so many of us have enjoyed over the years, are maintained and enhanced;
- Continue to engage with other Paediatric Surgical Associations both in Europe and further abroad.