This Fellowship is entirely funded by BAPS and supported by the RCS Eng and is only open to BAPS Members who are among its members.
It is typically awarded each year and supports a full-time research project for non-consultants.
Subscribing trainee members of the College in a training post, or trainees who have passed the MCQ papers and will sit the final MRCS examination at this College, are eligible to apply.
The research must be undertaken in the UK. The fellowships cover salary, on-costs and some running expenses. The main criteria for those interested in applying are to delineate important research questions, with an appropriate study design, which can be completed within the year of the fellowship.
Current Recipients – (2020)
||University of Bristol
||Do Aquaporins Protect against Renal Damage in PUJ
||Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool
||Behaviour and control of enteric nervous system progenitor cells in Hirschsprung’s disease
Published Output of Previous Recipients
- Cuckow PM, Cao KX. Meeting the challenges of reconstructive urology – Where are we now? J Pediatr Surg. 2019; 54:223-228. doi: 10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2018.10.070. Epub 2018 Nov 7.
- Johal NS, Arthurs C, Cuckow P, Cao K, Wood DN, Ahmed A, Fry CH. Functional, histological and molecular characteristics of human exstrophy detrusor. J Pediatr Urol. 2019;15:154.e1-154.e9. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2018.12.004. Epub 2018 Dec 27.
- Jones IH, Hall NJ. Contemporary outcomes for infants with necrotizing enterocolitis-a systematic review. J Pediatr. 2020 May;220:86-92.e3. doi: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2019.11.011. Epub 2020 Jan 22.
- Wright NJ; Global PaedSurg Research Collaboration. Management and outcomes of gastrointestinal congenital anomalies in low, middle and high income countries: protocol for a multicentre, international, prospective cohort study. BMJ Open. 2019 Sep 3;9(8):e030452. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2019-030452.
- Wright N, Abantanga F, Amoah M, et al. Developing and implementing an interventional bundle to reduce mortality from gastroschisis in low-resource settings. Wellcome Open Res. 2019 Mar 8;4:46. doi: 10.12688/wellcomeopenres.15113.1. eCollection 2019.
- Wright NJ, Langer M, Norman IC, et al. Improving outcomes for neonates with gastroschisis in low-income and middle-income countries: a systematic review protocol. BMJ Paediatr Open. 2018 Dec 27;2(1):e000392. doi: 10.1136/bmjpo-2018-000392. eCollection 2018.
- Wright NJ, Sekabira J, Ade-Ajayi N. Care of infants with gastroschisis in low-resource settings. Semin Pediatr Surg. 2018; 27:321-326. doi: 10.1053/j.sempedsurg.2018.08.004.
- Jackson L, Woodward M, Coward RJ. The molecular biology of pelvi-ureteric junction obstruction. Pediatr Nephrol. 2018;33:553-571. doi:10.1007/s00467-017-3629-0.
- Rhodes HL, Yarram-Smith L, Rice SJ, et al. Clinical and genetic analysis of patients with cystinuria in the United Kingdom. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2015; 10:1235-45. doi: 10.2215/CJN.10981114.