Scholarship: 2007 Hugh Greenwood Fellowship
Current Position: Professor & Consultant Paediatric Surgeon, National Hospital, Abuja, Nigeria.
Trained at Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Zaria. Presently a Professor of Paediatric Surgery/Consultant Pediatric Surgeon at the National Hospital, Abuja. Was until recently, Professor of Pediatric Surgery at Ahmadu Bello University & Ahmadu Bello University Teaching Hospital, Zaria, Nigeria. He is actively involved in development of educational and training programmes for the West African College of Surgeons, Association of Pediatric Surgeons of Nigeria and Pan African Pediatric Surgical Association. Has been at the forefront of advocacy for children’s surgery in Nigeria and sub Saharan Africa. He is part of core organizing committee for Global Initiative for Children’s Surgery (GICS).
1. St. James University Hospital, Leeds, 23rd June – 11th August, 2007.
2. Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, London, 13-24th August 2007.
Achievements through the Fellowship:
1. Improvements in quality and re-organization of our paediatric surgery teaching and training programme.
1. Improvements and re-organization of our paediatric surgical services.
2. Improvements in quality of care and outcome for hypospadias.
3. Improvements in quality of care and outcome for bladder exstrophy.
4. Better organization of care for disorders of sex development.
5. Initiating of paediatric laparoscopic surgery service.
1. Established educational collaborations with colleagues at St.James University Hospital, Leeds.
2. Publication of ‘Paediatric Surgery: a Comprehensive Text for Africa’.
3. Development and deployment of a Paediatric Urology Course at Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto, NIgeria, in collaboration with Mr Ramnath Subramanian of St.James University Hospital, Leeds.